Planning is the primary function of management. It is the basic requirement and important input of the management process. It helps to decide, what is to be done, when, and by whom?
Every individual and business plan the line of actions to be followed in the future.
It provides the framework within which coordinating, motivating, and controlling can be undertaken. It is in fact a prerequisite to effective management.
Meaning of Planning by Various Authors
It is deciding in advance what is to be done. It involves the selection of objectives, policies, procedures, and programmers from among alternatives.M.E Hurley
The plan of action is, at one and the same time the result envisaged the line of action to be followed, the stages to go through, and the methods to use.Henry Fayol
It is deciding in advance what to do, how to do it, where to do it, and who is to do it. It bridges the gap from where we want to go. It makes it possible for things to occur while would not otherwise happen.Koontz and O’Donnell
Feature of Planning for any organization
- It is Goal-oriented
- It is Future-oriented
- Its is an Intellectual process
- It is the Primary function
- It is Pervasive
- It is Continuous
- It aims at Efficiency
Importance of Planning in the Organization
- Making objectives clear
- Helps the organization a right path
- It reduces risk and uncertainty
- It improves the efficiency of operations
- Provides the basis for control
- Facilitates decision making
- Effective coordination
Plannings Limitation in an Organization
- It premises may not be fully reliable
- Dynamic conditions act as a limitation.
- Availability of time is a limiting factor.
- The cost involved in planning is also a limiting factor in planning
- The mental attitude of management can be a serious limiting factor.
- Procedural and policy rigidities also proved to be a hindrance.
- Capital invested in the fixed assets may be limited.
Read Similar Articles:
- Comparing Principles Of Management Given By Fw Taylor & Henry FayolHenry Fayol and Fw Taylor are considered as the father of Management. Fayol and Taylor have given certain Principles for […]
- Planning: Meaning, Features, Importance, LimitationsPlanning is the primary function of management. It is the basic requirement and important input of the management process. It […]
- Stress Management & Coping Strategies By IndividualsThe modern corporate and Industrial society is living in an era of change. Philosophers and management thinkers have given various […]